Monday, March 19, 2018

Gagging

In the words of Baden-Powell, from "Lessons on the 'Varsity of Life."

     I was once called upon by a professional touring company to take the part of the sentry in Iolanthe, in the place of a member of the caste who had been taken ill.
     Time did not admit of a rehearsal, but the part of Private Willis, the sentry, is a particularly easy one since he merely has to sing his one song and to do sentry-go without entering into conversation with the other characters.
     I had finished my song and have given my cue for the entrance of the leading lady when, as I neared the prompt side in the course of my march, the prompter whispered: “She is not ready. Gag for a few minutes.”
     And I gagged. After looking cautiously round to make sure that no officer was in the neighbourhood I put down my rifle and taking things easy I gave in a soliloquy my opinion of “sentry-go” from the private soldier’s point of view, generally alluding to various methods by which a cunning soldier could evade his sentry-go duties in comparative comfort without detection.
     With an audience of soldiers (which indeed included H.R.H. The Duke of Connaught) my remarks went down all right; indeed so satisfactory were they considered that the Manager insisted on my taking part again the following night and repeating in full the lecture on “sentry-go.”
     In an ordinary way it would have been difficult for me on the spur of the moment to give an oration without some preliminary thought on the subject, but I have over and over again found that when one’s whole attention is concentrated on the matter in hand, as it is when one is on the Stage, apt ideas spring to mind in a surprising way.

No comments:

Post a Comment